Yes, it is possible to release cover versions through iGroove. However, there are some important points to consider:
• When entering the song, indicate the composers and lyricists of the original.
• Declare the song as a cover. To do this, go to the tracklist, select “Edit song,” and then “Show additional fields.” Now select “Cover” under “Type of recording.” Please never list “Cover” in the song title.
• Register the song with the relevant collecting society.
• The original song must be registered with a collecting society. If it is not, permission must be obtained from the rights holders.
The following must also be observed:
1. Is at least one of the songwriters from the USA or represented by a US collecting society?
a. NO -> Worldwide distribution for streaming and download possible
b. YES -> See point 2.
2. Will the song only be offered for streaming?
a. YES -> Worldwide (including the USA) distribution for streaming possible
b. NO -> See point 3
3. If the song is to be offered for permanent download or physically in the USA, a license must be obtained.
Please note that these regulations apply only to covers. For remixes or samples, permission from the rights holders is always required.Back